Saturday, February 26, 2011

Lost In Translation

I've been chasing this films for literally almost a decade now ever since we watched the second act in one of my film classes at UofM. I did enjoy the film, however, I didn't love it. I completely believed the impromptu relationship between Bill Murray's and Scarlett Johnasson's character and thought it was very well crafted, but the film overall didn't make me sizzle. It was an interesting love fish-out-of-water love story set against the beautiful and unmistakable backdrop of Japan.

Sophia Coppola is a director that I do respect and I appreciate the similar mellow vibe she brings to her works, but I'd rather watch THE VIRGIN SUICIDES over this any day. And I think that it's lack of desire to repeat view has a lot to do with why this film was kind of blah for me. It was shot beautifully and written well, but it wasn't what I wanted, it was exactly what I expected, but not what I wanted.

Bill Murray was a definite saving grace. He moved about the film with poise and brilliance extracting just enough dry humor and sarcasm here and there to hold it all together.

Rating: 7.5/10
RT: 94%

No comments:

Post a Comment