Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hunger Games - Catching Fire [2013]

Was semi "dragged" to see this last night, so I figured while my impressions were still fresh I'd get something down. First off all, I find it ironic how a movie about the brainwashing of masses has become so popular in exactly that. I was thinking of more ways to tie this thought together but it made my brain hurt.

I did enjoy this one more than the original and thought it was a superior film. The story progression was predictable and took only about 25% of the film to get back to Catness and Square Jaw back into the game arena. I never read the books and it still was apparent what was going to happen. 

The camera movement felt more fluid and controlled this time around. I remember out of HG1 that the shaky camera during the action bouts was just horrible and it was obviously used to cover up the lack of violent detail being that it was a PG13 and all. 

The characters felt distant and removed, like usual. I definitely will attribute this to Jennifer Lawrence's horrible acting. I've noticed that she has two modes. Either straight faced and empty or crying in hysterics. It's pretty easy to see why they made her character in the film someone who was distant and introverted. It's almost like she didn't even need to actually act at all...

EDIT: J-Law is legitimately a boring person in real life. Ha.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv2xfgOL2Uk

Philip Semore Hoffman makes an appearance as the new "game master" or whatever and wasted completely wasted, but you could tell he was given little to work with. Donald Sutherland is definitely my favorite. I don't know if it's just the beard or the fact that he can actually act. Hmmm... Acting.

The film left of in typical fashion on a bit of a cliffhanger, but was a natural bookend that way they ensure to draw out the series as long as possible to bring in the cheddar. 

Another positive note is that 140 minutes went pretty quickly I thought. There was only a scene or two where you realized that you had been sitting in one spot for over two hours. And I guess that's a positive. 

Rating: 7/10
RT: 89%

No comments:

Post a Comment