Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Lifeguard [2013]

Thoroughly enjoyed this film. Saw a trailer for it long ago and a few weeks back NetFlix came through huge for me. Story: Girl leaves big city and heads back home to try and reinvigorate her life and hold on to her youth. 

The film struck a cord with me in the same way Fight Club and Garden State did. Coming of age films that protrude freedom as a way of life where you are not tied down to one particular ideology of list of must-dos. There is definitely that sense of freedom throughout this film. 

The film did have problems, but nothing so ridiculous to focus on. The ending was not what I expected, but I enjoy the 'less-than-happy-ending-ending' so I was pleased and also saddened at the same time. The relationship between Kristian and the boy was believable and they did a good job of coaxing the viewers to be on "their side" with the whole thing. 

One criticism I'll note was the lack of character arc for Kristian's character. I wish we could've seen more of her journey on both sides of the top point of her arc. It almost felt a little too rushed on either side, spending far too much time during the 2nd phase where she was partying and being carefree. I would've had more buy-in if we had spent more time with her before coming home and after the fallout. It would've helped the audience to be more engaged and I feel that was lacking.

Rating: 8.75/10
RT:  13%


No comments:

Post a Comment