Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dumb and Dumber

Ah… The 1994 Farrelly brothers’ classic... Spent some quality time with dad and watched this last night. Again it was on blu-ray. I think I’m becoming spoiled with the quality of these films. Here the 1080p transfer held up pretty well. Some dark scenes are grainy, but overall it looks a ton better than the original DVD release. Watch for the dinner, hotel, and Lamborghini scenes, they truly ‘pop’. Anyways, it was the ‘Unrated version’, which allowed for close to 5 extra minutes of footage throughout the film. It was a welcomed surprise, because I still know this movie like the back of my hand and it’s probably been 6 years since I’ve seen it in its entirety. And just to be random, to other blu-rays I picked up from Blockbuster yesterday: TWILIGHT-NEW MOON and THE INFORMANT. Hopefully you understand my likes enough by now to peg me with the film that I’m truly excited to see. Yes, that Twilight thing is for my girl, not me. I cannot wait to watch Stephen Soderbergh’s new film starring Matt Damon. I’ve watched the first 10 minutes online and I already know that it is for me. Watch the trailer online. I’m sure to be posting a review sooner than later.

Watch Dumb and Dumber Trailer Here

Haha. Just watched the trailer and the first scene where Lloyd yells "go faster" is actually not in the film - theatrical or unrated release. Hmmm... Very interesting. And the scene where Lloyd runs down the jetway and falls off is different too - he holds up his badge differently and how he lands on the concrete is different too. Maybe I'm just a nerd, but I think it's cool how they used different footage in the trailer as opposed to actual theatrical release.

There really isn’t too much to talk about with this film. I know everyone has seen it and either you love this low-brow style of humor, or you turn your nose up to it. Either way, everyone is familiar with this film. I’ll talk about some of the additional scenes they included in the unrated version. During the sexy hotel scene we hear sex sounds from the next room as Jim Carrey encourages him to ‘yeah, get her.’ It actually was pretty funny. The bathroom scene with Seabass is extended and we learn where Lloyd’s happy place really is. When the killers car breaks down on the side of the road, the female killer decides to “squeeze out a lemon” and proceeds to squat down. During the restaurant scene with Flo – Harry complains that his drink is flat and has no bubbles. So she takes it from him and blows into the straw, bubbling the glass up. And finally – during the toilet scene at the end, Harry picks up the toilet and starts to dump its contents out the window.

All in all these scenes actually added to the enjoyment level of re-watching this film. It made an extremely familiar film for me something new and exciting to watch because I was constantly looking for that moment when new scenes would slide in. I highly recommend it if you know the film well and love it. It will give you an excuse to revisit it and see new scenes.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment