Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A History of Violence

Recently I kidnapped 5 of my friends and literally forced them to watch this film at gunpoint. Well ok, not literally, but it was fairly close to it. I had built this film up for some time now when I talked to them and I finally got it on blu-ray, so we all cozied up on the couch to watch it. To be honest there was mixed reactions through the group. But their opinions don’t really matter on my blog, right?

Granted, the pacing of this film is slow. Actually, think of it like a tidal wave. It has its very high points and then the waters recede and we’re left waiting for the next crescendo. For me, I love films like this. Unlike a Michael Bay film, (my arch-enemy) a slow build-up gives you the right amount of appreciation for those moments that are intense and they are then motivated too. It also gives you a chance to become acquainted with your characters and grow attached to them. Also unlike MB’s films – I always joke that Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen should’ve been titled Transformers 2: Megan Fox Running in Slowmo. It’s ridiculous! The whole last act is them running through the desert to get from point A to point B. What a storyline. And then there are several long shots where all we see is Megan Fox running in slowmo with sand blasting all around her. Way to go MB, you captured your true Hitchcockian moment. Lol.

The motivation from the protagonist, Mr. Viggo Mortenson, is justly driven as the lives of his family are in jeopardy, and he’s the only man who can save them. This works perfectly for the audience, because everything he does we approve of, because he’s doing it to protect this family. We jump right on board and nod our heads when he punches a man’s nose up into his head.

One problem I have with his film has to deal with the tidal wave analogy I mentioned earlier. There seems to be 2 climaxes, and it does throw the audience off a little bit. I don’t know if Cronenberg set it up this way on purpose to keep us guessing, but for me I was getting that sinking feeling that screen was going to fade-to-black and the credits were going to roll. But instead, Viggo runs off to confront his brother, which makes sense because he is the true antagonist. But it still felt like having to jump start a dead car.

The film does have its share of extreme violence. (Imagine that, with the title and all). Most of it isn’t over the top either, expect for one kill as he runs out of his brothers office. My friend Adam was sure to point out how corny that looked. I guess I agree. The UK version (unrated) has more blood in the kill scenes, and some of them are a little more extended, which supposedly was unacceptable in the US. There is a great behind the scenes feature on the DVD version that compares the differences between the uncut version and the US release. It’s definitely worth your time to watch it if you’re into those kinds of things.

David Cronenberg is definitely one of my favorite directors. He takes risks, and I love that about him. Watch NAKED LUNCH or THE BROOD and then get back to me. Two films that will be bound to blow your mind. THE FLY is probably his most well known film to date. EASTERN PROMISES was good, but overall I was semi-dissatisfied. Watching Viggo fight martial arts style naked in the showers was interesting. I’m sure everyone on that set became very familiar with his most intimate secrets…

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment