Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Away We Go

I think, scratch that, I know that I’m in a semi-quazzy film rut. I’m at like 120 for the year so, which is far behind where I wanted to be at this point. The days are long and there still aren’t enough hours in those days. Started 2012 last night, which so far is extremely interesting from a story and production perspective. I’ll finish that bad boy up today and discuss it tomorrow. I’ve been taking heavier notes, so it will probably be a longer post – I’m preemptively sorry for that. Between work, spending time with the wifey, working out, prepping everything for the move – film has taken a sudden backseat to life. I wish I had 3 months to do nothing but watch and analyze film and read. But I suppose everyone has the same wish at some time or the other.

Watch Trailer Here

“I love my babies. Why would I want to push them away from me?” Going into this movie we had mediocre expectations. We both love The Office and John Krasinski so we figured that this movie should fit into a similar comedic vibe. It definitely is a different vibe, but there are similarities. How about that for a confusing comparison? The film really is funny though. Even from the very first scene we are aware that this film is going to a completely unique viewing experience. We meet our heroes as they lie in bed. The string of dialogue that follows is hilarious and sets the tone for the film. There are some seriously genuinely (two adverbs) funny moments in this film.

The main premise is a young couple gets pregnant and wants to move closer to someone that they know, as their parents are uprooting themselves and moving to Germany 1 month before their grandchild is due to be born. The rest of the movie follows them visiting these different cities and the friends/family that live there to see if this is where they want to me to. My favorites are Maggie Glyenhaal and the sister who shows no shame in her conversations, even around her kids. Oh and we love the moments when John K tries to make the baby’s heart rate by yelling at the mother. Classic.

AWAY WE GO definitely has an indie feel to it, and the pacing at some points does seem sluggish. This is probably one that my parents would hate, as they hated films like EVERYBODY’S FINE. I believe this story and story pacing will touch younger people more as that demographic is more susceptible to enjoyment with it – LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE, ABOUT SCHMIDT, SIDEWAYS, ELECTION, etc. This film also touches upon some issues with midwifery and home births. This reminded me of THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN, which I highly recommend all couples, pregnant and not, to watch. It just opens your eyes to the entire process of child birth as it differs from country to country. Plus you get to see Rikki Lake give birth in a bathtub! “Oh Yuck!” (Little Michael Scott dig there).

So watch AWAY WE GO if you love John K from The Office and you can appreciate sincere acting/characters and a slower paced storyline. It makes a great date night movie too! It has romantic elements and very humorous ones as well. Everyone wins! One of my top 5 of the year so far.

Rating: 9.25/10


No comments:

Post a Comment