Sunday, April 25, 2010

F***

I’ve heard about this documentary floating around for some time, so I figured I would give it a shot. I won’t spend much time talking about it, but it is an interesting journey and a well done documentary. At 90mins running time it did keep my attention the entire time, which you think would be hard to do with a limited subject like just discussing the F word. It features a ton of renowned characters giving their two cents on the word. To name a few; Hunter S. Thompson, Drew Carey, Ice-T, Alanis Morrisette, news anchors, linguists, editors, etc, etc.

It molds together arguments that pull elements form the First Amendment, historical references of the word, and current interpretations of every possible way it could be used. A lot of moments in the film are actually quite comical too. And I believe this is definitely a direction they were intended to go in. They had way too many comedians and classic characters to expect anything less.

After this film you feel a little desensitized to the word I’d have to say, but you just might learn something too. I learned some things when they were delving into the origin of the word itself. Don’t watch this with your Sunday school teacher, but it’s not terrible to throw on in the background to kill some time. I have to believe that many of the pastors and religious leaders that participated in the interviews are so outraged that they ended up being involved in this film. The final product does have a lot of "touchy" material... Imagine that. In a movie entitled the 'ultimate four letter naughty word.'

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment