Thursday, April 1, 2010

From Dusk Till Dawn

I still stand by this film. I have a good friend who swears that this film is rubbish and oh so easy to throw out with the trash. I started watching it last night, and instead of just watching 30 minutes, I got sucked in. The credits rolled shortly before 2am – way after the bed time I have become accustom to working my new job. So that speaks to the entertainment power this film has, at least over me anyways. I usually don’t have problems stopping a film and then coming back to it later, but here (just like with BELOW) I was in for the long haul no matter the late hour. Those are the types of films that are great because of their high repeat viewing potential.

From Dusk Till Dawn Trailer Here

So this film has the look and feel of a Grindhouse film in many aspects. That’s very appropriate considering Quentin Tarantino wrote the screenplay, which I just learned last night. Of course Robert Rodriguez directed it and he more recently is known for the film PLANET TERROR, which is also part of Quentin’s Grindhouse films project from a couple years back. I enjoyed PT better than DEATH PROOF, but I definitely need to revisit both films sometime soon. The car surfing at the end of DP was just amazing.

The story of FDTD is fairly simple and it involves a road trip! That’s probably one of the reasons why I am drawn to it so strongly. I have this weird fetish for road films. Just something about a journey and adventure that hooks me right in. EASY RIDER, SIDEWAYS, FIVE EASY PIECES, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1973), the ROUTE 66 DVD SERIES, DUMB AND DUMBER (lol), and THELMA AND LOUISE – I am just a big fan of the open road. Endless possibilities. The film is full of huge star actors – Harvey Keitel, George Clooney, Quentin Tarantino, Juliette Lewis, and b-film/Grindhouse hero Danny Trejo.

Clooney and Tarantino are brothers on the run from the law and on their way to Mexico for a rondevu they kidnap Harvey and his family’s RV to get across the border in. Clooney is in true badass form running the show the whole way. He really is a smooth character. I got the OUT OF SIGHT vibe where you know he’s in total control and that the film will revolve around his orbit. They get down to Mexico and hold up for a night in a bar. We’re greeted by Cheech at the doors of the Titty Twister who’s describing the contents within the bar (I won’t go into detail on it). George and Quentin beat him and enter. They drink, fight, and then the bar’s strippers and bouncers turn into vampires. The battle ensues.

The film has a very satirical nature to it. I took some notes on some of the comical moments: I love the death counter during the news report, the big vampire at the end instantly snaps like 3 guys heads, the human body guitar the band is playing a second after the bar switches over, that Shaft look-a-like character rips out the big vampires heart and stabs it with a pencil, the squirt gun battle, and the automatic spear gun.

The film is very well done in my humble opinion. From the effects to the acting to the casting – it all works. I love the shot where Harvey is ducked down behind the bar and then we see what he is greeted by when he stands up. That could’ve been a very intense scene, but whatever I still really liked the quiet build-up. And the make-up on the vampires and special effects are pretty impressive for the time when this film came out. Nothing took away from what the director was trying to get across. This is a good film for the guys or girls who like blood and satire.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment