Friday, April 16, 2010

The Jerk - 70s Week

Per my own request, I’ve decided to talk about a film that’s a lot more airy that some of the other 1970s picks I’ve had so far. Don't worry, I've saved the worst 1970s film for last. I am excited about discussing and revisiting it too! So what better for comedic relief than THE JERK from 1979 directed by Carl Reiner? Not much. It was between this and BLAZING SADDLES, and I already this on DVD, so it was an easy decision. I should own Mel Brooks masterpiece too, but times are tough. Although this film does draw from the same comedy vein as BS in many ways, foremost being the racial jokes and references throughout, I figured I haven’t seen it in some time so I ‘d watch it.

The film follows Navin Johnson, played by Steve Martin, as he leaves home to experience the world. Along the way he works as a gas station attendant, a carnival worker, and eventually becomes a millionaire for creating a clip that attaches to glasses. The story reminds of something close to FOREST GUMP or THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON. Our hero experiences an extremely full and unique life and we’re along for the ride.

THE JERK is seriously hilarious. I don’t know what to comment on. There are so many pure comedic moments in this film that it is hard to decipher the best to discuss. From the first scene where Naven narrates that he was born a “poor black child” we know we are in for an incredible journey. I love the dinner they prepared for him on this birthday, his favorite :Tuna fish sandwich in white toast with mayo, a tab, and two Twinkies = priceless. The best moments of the film revolve around Naven’s naivety with the outside world and basic social SOP. From learning about intercourse and then writing his parents to tell them that he wishes that they were there with him during that amazing time, to not understanding how the carnival games worked in order to bring in profits: “Oh! It’s a profit scheme!!” It’s a breath of cinematic fresh air to watch him experience the world for the first time. Similar to ENCINO MAN or BILL AND TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE, but there’s no one here to help Naven acclimate to the real world. We just sit back and watch him stumble again and again.

If you haven’t seen this film, you need to. The “R” rating is a bit steep. There’s language and some adult situations, I think that’s about it. So don’t be coaxed away because of the rating. It’s pure cinema and there are genuine laughs back-to-back throughout. I am going to have to have my wife watch it now, because she needs to be more experienced in cinema anyways.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment