Monday, April 19, 2010

Reservoir Dogs

Everyone knows that Quentin Tarantino is the king of dialogue, and he rubs that fact in our face within the first 10 minutes of this film. Where the 7 men sit around the restaurant’s table and discuss everything from Madonna to the validity of tipping waitresses. I guess I’ve grown up some more cinematically since the last time I saw this film. I remember back and I thought that that first scene went on forever and I do remember being very bored during it. But when I watched it recently I hung on every sentence and truly enjoyed the execution and acting during it. So maybe there is some hope for me yet. Now I need to revisit DAS BOOT and see if I still love that film. I guess I have a soft spot for 4-hour long submarine dramas.

R-Dogs Trailer

The film takes place after a botched bank robbery leaves many dead and one man (Tim Roth) injured. It has an outstanding cast, including: Quentin Tarantino, Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Steve Buscemi, and Michael Madsen and they all are on their A-game. The script is simple, but solid. Quentin has a real gift to bring films to life that honestly have a very basic script driving them. With strong acting performances, key musical inserts, and impeccable dialogue he crafts these films so meticulously that they reach a level of perfection. It is apparent that he has a love for all things cinema, because it shines through in his own work.

Tarantino is also the king of broken narratives. PULP FICTION, JACKIE BROWN, etc. He can pull and place the elements on a story timeline to his choosing. It serves as an interesting storytelling tactic that allows him to put the climatic points in as needed throughout the film. It also keeps the audience guessing and entertaining, because we are constantly learning along the way.

I want to discuss two of my favorite scenes in the whole film. First is an early scene where Tim Roth is bleeding profusely in the backseat of the getaway car. His acting is so desperate and believable that it is hard to not think he was actually shot and is dying right there on screen. Incredible. My second favorite scene has to be where Mr. Orange (I think) cuts off the cop’s ear and doses him with gas. I love the insane little dance he does to Steeler’s Wheel’s song ‘Stuck in the Middle’. It’s disturbing and extremely enjoyable all at the same time.

Not a film for the faint of heart. Watching a guy have his ear cut off is kind of depressing, but that’s how we’re supposed to feel. And I love the old school Mexican gun standoff. Probably not the best movie for date night with the mrs. – just saying. A good movie to throw on if you have friends over who are fans of long scenes with exasperated dialogue or are fans of Tarantino in general.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment