Friday, April 2, 2010

Freddy Got Fingered

If you know Tom Green and admire his unique style of comedy, than you’ll love and appreciate FGF. Just recently it was on HBO and I DVRed it and watched it later that week. I found myself lying in bed laughing my head off. It was 100x funnier than I remember it being when I saw it many years ago. One night after that we had a poker night at my house and we watched half of it before playing and it was a riot! This is like the quintessential “guys” film. I would highly recommend that women NOT watch this. There is horse wangs, whacking nymphos, and over-the-top homoeroticism. I couldn’t see a bunch of ladies throwing this gem in at a feminine get together – although it would be funny to see their reactions and get their opinions on FGF. Maybe a social experiment is brewing down the road.

The story is beyond simple. 29 year old Freddy leaves home to work/sell his cartoons in the big city. He fails. He comes home and lives with his parents again and meets a girl who is paralyzed and likes to be beat with a bamboo pole on her dead legs. Freddy sells his cartoons and makes millions of dollars and does whatever he wants. That’s the 90-minute film in a nutshell. The best parts of this film lie within the randomness and absurdity of what Tom Green is willing to do to get a laugh. From the ‘backwards man’, to toilet scuba diving, to “being a farmer”, to the sausage music sequence – this movie never lets up and never holds back. “Look at me daddy! I’m a farmer!!” – Quite possibly the most “wrong” scene in all of cinema. I still cannot believe that they got away with that. The MPAA must of not screened this one. I think it was a pending NC-17 for a while…

FGF is a classic for those of us that are disgusting human beings that love a cheap laugh at the most retarded stuff a brain could think of. This is a film that you cannot take seriously. Just like the JACKASS or Shawn Coen’s film series – the situations, characters, and story are created to be as ridiculous as possible in order to elicit a reaction from the audiences that view them. Call some of your twisted friends, crack some drinks, and laugh away. If you’ve never seen it, don’t watch it alone. You definitely want to be able to share that experience with someone.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment