Sunday, June 6, 2010

American Beauty

How have I not written about this film before? It’s one of my favorite and finally The Academy chose a good film of the year, not because of foreign or movement relevancy, but because of meaning and quality of the work. This film is such a heavy film and deals with some real weighty subjects. Subjects like; the meaning of true happiness, love, beauty, and life itself. It pretty much sums up all of the battles I’ve had in my life and I know other people have as well. Why am I here? What can I possibly do with my life to have some substance or meaning when it is all said and done? The questions of the ages for everyone I guess.

American Beauty Trailer

We meet Kevin Spacey’s character Lester while he is taking care of business in the shower and we are welcomed to his life as he narrates for us. (Mmmm… Main character self narration – awesome). I was in from the word go. We then follow Lester throughout his pitiful days and then his sudden catalyst to resurrect himself from the wallowing pit of despair that he was in. That catalyst is the young female vixen played by Mena Suvari; the creature that makes Lester start living again and try to better himself to get the chance to impress her in some way. His journey towards self-enlightenment is what keeps us enthralled and loving the film and his character. He’s not complacent to live out his days without raising his hand and questioning the system and the mundaneness that is suburban American life.

There are a few other sub storylines too in this film. The daughter and the mother are interesting characters to watch, and the next door neighbor is interesting too, as he interacts with his closet-gay military father. The film really is intended to answer the question: What is beauty? And it does more than answer that. I find myself too overwhelmed by all the magnificainetly beautiful things this world has to offer. And I know that there is no way I can ever experience them like I ought before my time is up. And succumbing to that realization is awfully hard.

If you haven’t seen this film, you need to. It’s a journey to discover beauty and the meaning of life and living through a normalized suburban family in while collar America. And the repeat viewing level is very high too. But like I said before, The Academy finally gave a good film its due. Props Academy. Props.

Rating: 9.75/10

No comments:

Post a Comment