Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Brick

It’s been quite a while since I’ve seen this film and I have been meaning to give it another twirl, so that’s what I did. The film follows a young man who is trying to solve a mystery per se – a girl named Emily is found dead in a sewer runoff and Brendan has to weave his way through a slew of interesting characters to find out what really happened to her and what she was into that got her killed. On another note: I know I’m really behind on my reviews, so I’m going to have a blowout of movies this weekend. I will be up north, so hopefully I can find some time to sit back, kick my feet up, and watch some films. Probably looking at JAWS, SWF, and possibly CLUE? I will try to tackle some new movies as well – so let’s see what I can get accomplished.

Brick Trailer Here

Oh this film… It is true, the more you watch it, the more you appreciate it more and begin to give yourself to it. The first time I saw it I was confused, stunned, and in a sense of awe at it. It’s setup like a 1950s film noir crime drama. It’s backed with a solid DP team, tight writing, well-drawn characters, and unbelievably sharp dialogue. And the dialogue carries throughout the entire film. Just when you think they can’t be any more “cutesy” BOOM! You’re struck with something that knocks you down.

There is a lot more happening here than what meets the eye. You can just tell. This is one of those cinematic journeys that have so much thought and intention injected before shooting that it boggles your mind a little. I’d like to offer that it is semi-Lynchian is style as well. Maybe we were never supposed to know everything that the writers and director intended with each character and subplot, but it is a fascinating journey nonetheless.

Overall, I probably will not be in huge hurry to revisit this film anytime soon. It’s a great ride while it’s happening, but it does tend to drag it some parts more than others, and it is noticeable. I, am not one to ever put down a film that takes their time and doesn’t over rush the pacing, but if I noticed this film’s pacing, others will as well. And to much more levels of severity than I did. This is one my parents and wife would probably hate. I enjoyed it, but I guess I’m in a different space.

Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment