Wednesday, June 9, 2010

House of 1000 Corpses

To be completely honest I like Rob Zombies films a lot more than I like his music. And I actually really enjoy his music a ton – so what does that say about how much I like his films? You get the idea. Zombie is a messed up little puppy and I feel like we would really get along well in real life. His films are filled with the full spectrum of all things disturbing and grotesque, and I am fascinated by them and oftentimes meditate on them too much I’d have to say. I love some of his short films too (I’m not 100% sure that they’re completely considered shorts, but…). The aging pumpkin is probably one of my favorites.

House of 1000 Corpses Trailer

At the core of Zombie’s cinematic style is this reoccurring theme tying together extreme dark humor and sadistic violence/torture. One great example is when Baby talks to one of the kidnapped cheerleaders. Here is her quote: “I thought you kids were all about teen spirit… You haven’t done ****all to cheer me up since you’ve been here!” Hilarious. Is it wrong that I find these things so amusing and funny? I think that’s what Zombie is really going for – to show us all that we have this dark side within us that enjoys the torture and pain these characters are put through. That we’re all sadistic voyeurs at heart and it’s a slippery slope until we finally go overboard and find life without barriers.

I like THE DEVIL’S REJECTS a ton more, but HO1000C is still amazing. It’s a crazy ride through some really disturbing events/family. I was reminded a lot of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1973) – especially with the hitchhiker, the dinner party, and the tightly knit sadistic family. And this family is great too. There’s those moments where they just start laughing together or look at each other and you believe it so much.

Not a film for the ladies or not for the ladies who aren’t into crazy horror films with good amounts of gore and disturbing content. I know some girls that really love this stuff – and they are my friends.

Rating: 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment