Friday, June 18, 2010

Blood Simple.

How do I even begin to start talking about this film? Definitely one of my top 5 films of all time – this one is extraordinary. Ok let’s get the plot of the way. Ray is sleeping with Marty’s wife and Marty finds out about it. Marty is also Ray’s boss until Ray quits his bartending job. Marty pays off a hitman, played by legendary M. Emmet Walsh, to take Ray out. However, Walsh instead kills Marty and takes the money thinking he has gotten off scot-free because no one can link him to the deal. That’s where the story begins to get good. Sound confusing and twisty? It should, because this film has a ton of dynamics going on simultaneously and it never lets up.

Blood Simple. Trailer Here

Hands down this is my favorite Coen brother’s film. But I love everything they’ve down – except for INTOLERABLE CRUELTY – I just didn’t like that film for what it was, but I understand why it was like it was. FARGO, BURN AFTER READING, THE BIG LEBOWSKI (which I reviewed earlier in the year) – they are all superb and so worthy of viewing. But this film, their first film too, is in a league of its own in my opinion.

The acting, the script, the story, the camera work – everything is top notch here. I especially love the dialogue. They always told me that for dialogue to work it has to be interesting and lively, and be relevant for the story, and that’s exactly what we have here. Words not just for the sake of words. They have meaning for the entire story and help develop our very interesting characters.

The film is just shot so meticulously and layered so well that it hurts to watch because it is so amazingly simple yet complicated. I don’t even know what else to say about it. You need to see it if you haven’t. I guarantee that it will not be everybody’s cup of tea, but many of you will appreciate it and love it for what it is. The best part is the final scene where Francis shoots the person behind the door. I just love how that whole sequence was set up and the twist. Awesome.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment