Friday, June 11, 2010

The Suckling

Ever hold a film in such high regard that you tend to not want to revisit it in fear that it might not have been as good as you once thought it was? That was the case with THE SUCKLING for me. I write this portion before I even began to rewatch it. For a long time, and probably still, friends and family considered me to be the guy who loves and knows a ton about some of the most obscure and disturbing horror films. When they would ask what some of my all time favorites were, I would usually respond with THE EXORCIST, DEAD ALIVE, and THE SUCKLING. And they would always reply; “The Suckling?” And then I would run through a little plot synopsis for them – It’s a 1990 film where a baby is aborted at an illegal prostitution/abortion clinic and is thrown into a sewer. Down in the sewer the baby lands in toxic waste and transforms into a mutant killing machine that takes revenge on everyone above. What a premise, eh? And usually the response from my friends or family is similarly disgust.

The Suckling Trailer (Hope I can find it)

Ok – so I’m taking some notes while watching this film because things are jumping out at me! First off, the title sequence is so reminiscent of the original THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE that it is scary! And then the opening title score seems like something right out of THE EXORCIST or HALLOWEEN. So from the very first minute I am curious at least. And then we’re treated to this gurney scene that reminded me of JACOB’S LADDER – I wonder if they initially threw together bits from some of my favorite movies on purpose? Hmmm…

Granted, there is some of the worst acting ever in this film. The first real scene of dialogue between a doctor and an intern is huge indicator that this film is maybe a little bit below a B-film and needn’t be taken too seriously whatsoever. And there is this under-riding comedic tone throughout most of the film – we learn this early on as “big mama” is with one of her first clients. What an awkward tone starting off. But the helicopter hat was a nice touch I have to say.

The premise alone makes this film awesome. The acting is so terrible that it becomes actually really funny to watch. They did do a really good job on the makeup and special effects. I particularly enjoy the scenes where the baby is transforming into the monster. The film overall is terrible though – the writing, character development, the characters themselves, and mostly definitely the acting. But it is a fun trip either way, but by no means a good film. Lol.

Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment