Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sideways

I first viewed this movie in one of my film classes many, many years ago. I believe the class followed “American road films” specifically, and this one definitely fell into that category. The film follows two friends as they tour wine country days before one of the guys’ wedding. They meet two women and the soon-to-be-married guy starts to become involved with her. There are a ton of misadventures along the way that are great for a laugh. And you will learn more about wine than you ever wanted to after watching this film.

Sideways Trailer Here

Alexander Payne directed this film and he is definitely one of my favorite directors that I’ve discovered in the past several years. Some of his other films are CITIZEN RUTH, ELECTION, and ABOUT SCHMIDT. All three are films that I have championed while recommending films I love to family and friends. And I still stand by all them, because they are amazing. I should probably revisit each and do a running marathon of AP films… Hmmm… Maybe soon.

So this film stars Paul Giametti, whom I love as an actor. He’s charismatic, funny, and awkward all at the right times and in the right doses. He really drives a lot of the films tone and overall pacing. His friend is also great too as the best friend/actor who loves himself more than he’ll ever know. There are a few laugh out loud moments in the film – to name my favorite ones – the golf course scene, the wine bucket drinking scene, and of course the scene where the husband runs out of the house after Paul – classic. Probably not for the younglings or women who don’t want to see naked man flopping all around.

This film ties into the same vein that Alexander Payne has become very apt to drawing from – the self loathing – life is kind of a drag vein, but sometimes moments of joy and happiness poke through. It’s the same formula he follows throughout all of his films, and it works beautifully.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment