Wednesday, May 12, 2010

9

Ok. So I really enjoyed this movie. Am I the only one? My wife and brother-in-law both thought it was a waste of time and hated it. Their main argument was that the film lacked plausible story development and background information, which are both valid, but that didn’t factor too much for me. I know that sounds hypocritical because I’m also harping on how films don’t have good storylines and leave so much out, but that wasn’t the case here for me. I just enjoyed the experience. We wake up in this new world with characters that are made out of string and cloth and they are fighting to survive in this world that was torn apart by war machines gone astray. The jist of the film I thought would be to understand ‘why’ they are here, and that does get answered eventually, but leaves more to be desired. I won’t give anything away.

9 Trailer Here

So this is a visually arresting film in my opinion and an excellent fish-out-of-water story for the viewers. And that’s all I took it as. A film that wasn’t overly long to where it became burdensome and didn’t NEED all that character development and solid storyline because it wasn’t necessary for it to work. Plus, Tim Burton was an executive producer on the film, so you know it’s going to be a unique and interesting ride, which it most certainly was.

The only quam I would have with the film is the lack of originality in regard to the pacing of the action/drama. It felt like the characters were stuck in this perpetual cat-n-mouse, ride-n-hide mode that became very mundane and extremely predictable. I don’t know if they could’ve went into a different direction – maybe a little more character self-realizations or additional plot points to move things along, but for the most part I was very happy with the film and recommend it. It’s short with a runtime under 80 minutes, actually closer to the 70 minute mark, but it serves well for the film. It feels like a short that if any longer would be daunting to the audience. It’s a cinematic trip into a new world that keeps the viewers in awe throughout the duration.

Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment