Sunday, May 16, 2010

Film Geek

I really enjoyed this film. Going in I knew it was an extreme B-film or even C-film, but I liked what I read about the premise online and thought I would give it a try, as it was free on Netflix anyways. The film follows a young man who works at a video rental store and is a walking encyclopedia on film. We follow him as he goes about his days watching, critiquing, and trying to educate others on film. He lives in a small one bedroom, hole-in-the-wall apartment and dreams of connecting with the girl across the hall that is way out of his league. He sees her sunbathing out by the pool and tries to impress her by offering to rent a film she’s been wanting to see. Eventually he meets a girl who shares similar interest and passion in film as he does. They begin to date and his passions turn from film to this girl.

Film Geek Trailer Here

Even though the acting in this film is atrocious I still felt a connection between the two main actors as they developed a romance together. Every viewer was on the geek’s side for him to find true love and happiness amidst his world of isolation and seemingly-pain.

One of the huge things in this movie that really struck me was how I could relate to the main character (the geek). He seems disjointed from the real and unable to make a sincere connection with his fellow man. Instead, he uses film as his escapism vehicle to experience the world. I feel a lot of the same feelings as he does. Sometimes I’d rather experience the world on the silver screen than go out and get my hands dirty. Probably something that I should work on, I know.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment