Friday, May 14, 2010

Bringing Out The Dead

This isn’t the first time that Martin Scorsese has followed a man working the streets of New York in the wee hours of the morning. TAXI DRIVER and MEAN STREETS are also similar stories. However, TAXI DRIVER is by far much closer to this film. I remember seeing this film many, many years ago, but it has totally slipped from me. It’s hard for me to confess that I don’t even remember key plot points or much of the plot at all. So it was definitely time to revisit this film. And at the time I probably didn’t respect or even know of Marty Scorsese’s work/reputation like I do today. I think I was actually shocked last week to learn that this was a Scorsese film. Shame on me, I know.

Bringing Out The Dead Trailer Here

So we follow Nicholas Cage and John Goodman who are EMTs throughout the nights across the city. Eventually he starts to take work a little differently, and it’s awesome to watch his transformation. I won’t go into anymore detail. Just rent it. What an interesting job this must be. I mean your work environment is constantly changing – new people’s homes, apartments, condos, you meet new people every night from all walks of life, but then you have to deal with the whole pressure filled job too. So it is definitely a tradeoff I think. But for the right type of person I bet this work is heaven – I could see myself doing it and really enjoying it…

Nicholas Cage’s character is plagued by the “ghosts” that follow him around. People he almost saved on the job. We follow him as he slowly slips into a psychosis state where his only friends are a diet of coffee and whiskey. Tom Sizemore is a treat as a nutty EMT that’s appearances are a breath of fresh air. Pedro is also another great character. He plays a nutcase that wonders the streets threatening to kill himself. When Tom and Pedro meet up it is quite hilarious.

There are a lot of funny moments in this film. I think that they might be construed as dark comedy moments, but they really come across as truly funny. Goodman’s line “he got better”, the police officers line “don’t make me take off my sunglasses,” and the dialogue “he’s crazy.” and Cage’s sarcastic reply “Really?!?!” Intentional funny moments to break up the intensity of the film. Marty also is the radio operator that gives out calls to Nick and John. Probably the funniest moment is when Pedro runs at the gang members and they scream like girls and take off. So great. Vinh Rames is also hilarious. Especially when he summons the Lord to bring the overdosed kid back to life. Man I love this film.

Watch out for the beautiful canted shot as Nicholas lifts himself up out of the flipped over ambulance. So smooth. Almost as nice as many canted shot in my first short film. Ok fine, his is probably better – because of the camera/equipment. And the dream/nightmare sequence while he’s on that drug is amazing. It’s a well crafted sequence that’s very effective.

“Don’t make me take off my sungalsses!”

Rating: 9.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment