Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's Complicated

The trailer for this film is deceiving indeed. I was expecting and excited for something that was much different than what I actually got. We find ourselves amidst a love triangle between Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin. Meryl Streep left Alec ten years ago, and now they are having an affair, as Alec got remarried to young, exotic little thing, and then her architect Steve Martin comes into the picture and she likes him too. It’s a classic romantic drama-triangle. There are humorous moments throughout the film, and I believe that John Krasinski is solely responsible for them; from wearing girl clothes to being the mediator amidst their affair.

Here Watch The Trailer And See What I Mean – It’s Complicated Trailer

If only the whole film was as lively and entertaining as that trailer. Oftentimes the film falls into “girl talk time” where we are forced to watch 4 girls have a tea party and squawk it up about the men in their lives. I honestly don’t think that any man would want to watch this at all. If it wasn’t for the 1080p picture I might have called it quits 20 minutes in. But there are some amazing scenes that lend to the beautifulness of blu-ray’s picture quality. Especially the ones in the garden, or in the pastry shop, or at the dinner tables.

Overall this was a straight romantic comedy that brought in 4 amazing actors to try and fool everyone that there might be something more here. The best part of the film is when Steve Martin and Meryl Streep get stoned and go to the party. There were some genuinely funny moments there. It’s almost as if they were not acting at all. Hmmm… Alec Baldwin was another shining star in this picture. However, I didn’t feel the need to see his bare rear during the computer nude scene. Thankfully we didn’t get to see what Steve Martin saw because I might have had to end my life afterwards. That part was well setup though, but as a man confident in my manhood, I feel I don’t need to see other men lying around naked.

A good date movie if you don’t mind extremely slow and grueling films that seem like a newer version of STEEL MAGNOLIAS. At least in SM you got to see firecrackers thrown into a tree and hundreds of birds get scared out. That’s probably the only thing I remember about that movie, which is my mom’s favorite.

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment