Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gothika

I bought this on blu-ray for $10 in January and watched it shortly after that. I had seen it before, so I wasn’t in for any surprises, however, like I always say, it looked fantastic on blu-ray. I might argue that the picture on my 52 inch LED is crisper than that of the one on the silver screen? Dare I make this comment?? There are some scenes where I can see more detail than my eyes can handle, and I know I have never had that problem in the theatre before. Anyways enough of the 1080p talk. This film follows a doctor who treats mental patients at an asylum, and one day she encounters a young girl on the side of the road during an intense rainstorm. Halle Berry crashes her car and goes to help the girl who looks lost and traumatized. After that encounter Halle wakes up on the other side of the glass and the mystery begins.

Gothika Trailer Here

If you haven’t seen this movie than I do recommend it, but it has some fairly intense parts in it that intended to startle people. I remember I watched this with my wife back when we were dating and she couldn’t sleep that night and her parents were out of town. She wanted me to come over and just be at the house, but I wouldn’t. What a guy, eh?

Robert Downy Jr. is superb in this film as well, just like almost every film he’s in. Probably one of my favorite actors of all time. So charismatic that guy. Penelope Cruz is used very well in this film too. She plays the nut job role very well and is convincing. There is some serious suspension of disbelief in this film, but it works because Halle has to be convinced too, and we are right there with her.

There’s a good ending twist in this film and is a good payoff I believe. This is a good popcorn film if you can handle some intense moments and some startles along the way. Enjoy.

Rating: 8.25/10

No comments:

Post a Comment