Saturday, May 1, 2010

Amelie

Right behind CITIZEN KANE, this is another film that I’ve been trying to see for oh so many years. I’ve had it in the DVD player so many times and have never sat down and pressed play. Thankfully, I finally took the time to sit down and watch it. And I’m so very happy that I did. I’ve heard from friends and film critics that I really trust and have similar tastes to that this film is extraordinary and one of the best. And they were all so right. What a treat this film is. I recommend it highly even before I start to discuss. Just stop reading and go watch it anywhere – online, rent it, whatever. I guarantee that it will be worth your time.

Amelie Trailer Here

The best thing about this film is the mood it conjures up in the people who watch it. It is a really fresh and happy film. You feel so good while you’re watching it. It could quite possibly be an unidentified cure for depression. You become lost in this new world and it whisks you away to a place where you have no cares or worries. Amelie is a joy to watch go about her day and try to bring joy to other people’s lives. It is just such a fresh piece of cinema. One quote from the narrator sums up a lot of the films: “An urge to help mankind engulfs her.”

A consistent and excellent camerawork technique that they used throughout this film is the dolly forward with narration on top. It reminded me very much of MAGNOLIA, which is on my top 5 list (it seems like there is more than 5 films on there, but I could never chose). There is also narration throughout the film, which is also another of my favorite elements used in film.

My favorite part of this film is definitely the first act, which sweeps us away into Amelie’s world of wonder. The narrator introduces us to the characters and explains their likes and dislikes. From the very beginning we know we are in for a fun, quirky, and fresh cinematic ride. I cannot say enough about this film, so please go watch it. It is in French, so you have to read subtitles, but that’s a small price to pay for this gem of a film.

Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment