Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Goodfellas

Is there a better “man film” out there? I doubt it. This has it all. Mobsters, violence, chasing the dream of riches and prominence, Dinero, Pesci, Liotta, and it’s directed by Martin Scorsese. Sounds like the perfect poker movie in my mind. And I do love the ever-loving something out of this film. It’s a timeless film that can be watched over and over again. We follow Henry throughout his life as a mobbed up guy. We see him when he’s young and how he gets into the game, we watch him during his star years, and towards the end of his life after the dust has settled. It’s a fairly simple story but the perfect directing, acting, and musical score keep everything moving just as it should.

Goodfellas Trailer Here

I just realized that I have reviewed a good amount of Marty’s films, but that’s ok because they are all excellent. Probably TAXI DRIVER, RAGING BULL, or MEAN STREETS are on my top list of his films right now. And yes, I said MEAN STREETS – an underrated film in my mind. But the favorite part in that film is the introductory title sequence with that song in the background. (Can’t remember it right now. Drats)

So this film balances out the view of how a person involved in organized crime would probably live their life. There are times of unprecedented happiness, joy, and wealth, but around every corner is the threat of death, betrayal, and imprisonment. We see the dichotomy of living this kind of life very effectively in this film. There are times when Henry is so paranoid and freaking out that we cannot help but feel for him, his wife, and his family. That sequence where Henry has to cook dinner while running errands is probably the best part of the film. Beautifully crafted as usual Marty, but I don’t have to tell you, you already knew that.

Lorraine Bracco’s performance in this film is stunning as well. I had to mention that. She’s one of my favorite actresses and she sizzles on THE SOPRANOS, but here is my favorite performance by here right behind SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME. And the scene where Henry goes over and takes care of the guy that laid a hand on his girl is bar-none the best scene in the film.

This film isn’t best for the date night with Mrs., however, put it on with the boys and kick back. The quality of this film on blu-ray is very good. I especially love the scenes where the cigarette smoke dances in the amplified lights of a bar or club. It looks magnificent.

Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment