Sunday, May 9, 2010

Pirate Radio

I’m definitely not going to spend a lot of time on this review. Although I will say that I was excited about this film and then the Blockbuster dude said that it was awesome, so I was doubled excited to watch it. Plus Philip Seymour Hoffman was the lead man. Throw in the best of the 1960s music and how could you go wrong? It did though. It went very wrong… I won’t even add the trailer below because it is extremely deceiving – it makes this film look like it might be something enjoyable or funny – the opposite is very much true.

Maybe it’s the British humor/vibe to the film that threw me off so much. Nothing that I saw was funny to me. All of the jokes and interesting situational attempts fell flat on their faces for me. It went over like a ton of bricks. The characters were semi-interesting, but the acting was atrocious and the story was so lame that it was embarrassing. The only good thing about the film was the music. The kooks, the Who, the rolling stones, the beach boys, the Beatles, etc, etc. But then you could just listen to these songs and not have to watch the horribly annoying pictures behind it, right? That’s what I should’ve done. I should’ve thrown on my Bose headphones and zoned out to these classic tunes.

Don’t waste your time. The concept and premise is cool, and is based upon actual events from the 1960s - where rock music wasn’t allowed to be played on the airwaves, so “pirate” ships would broadcast music to the mainland from the sea. Even PSH couldn’t save this puppy. Listen to the music, don’t watch the film.

Rating: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment