Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Zombieland

Here is one of my favorite films from last year that I revisited early this year. My brother-in-law is actually obsessed with zombie films. He’s on a journey to see everyone that was ever created I believe. He saw this opening night and loved it to death. (no bad pun intended) He told me that I HAD to see it as soon as possible. I love Woody Harrelson films so I wasn’t opposed to it, and the premise/trailer definitely reeled me in. I ended up seeing it at the dollar show with him several weeks later. And I was blown away. I really loved every second of it. The story is basic – zombies have taken over the world and people are on the endangered species list. Everyone is for themselves and it’s a game of survival now. We follow a group of four people who travel towards the West/East coast in search of a human haven where zombies haven’t infiltrated.

Zombieland Trailer Here

The movie really is full of hilarious moments and non-stop action. My favorite part has to be the incorporation of the onscreen text throughout the film. We see the boy’s rules to surviving ZOMBIELAND. From Cardio, to Always Check the Back Seat, to Beware of Bathrooms – they are all creative and lively, adding to the fresh zombie vibe this films screams across with.

Woody is probably everyone’s favorite. And yes, he was mine too. Close second was the great guest appearance from Bill Murray, which was probably the funniest part of the film behind the kill of the week. Reminded me of my Halo days (the Xbox game). Yes, I used to be an addict of sorts.

The story is simple, but the acting and overall design of the film makes it a fun and fresh zombie adventure. The repeat viewing level is extremely high – I just watched it again about a month after it was in the dollar theatre. (blu-ray). There is a good amount of blood and gore, but it doesn’t seem as intense because the dark humor is always right behind every kill and zombie eating humans scene. A great film for the guys, and girls who like blood and guts and very dark humored films.

Rating: 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment