Monday, July 26, 2010

Brothers

Another film that totally flew under the radar for me. It probably flew under everyone’s radar come to think of it. I did hear about it briefly on one of the film podcasts that I listen to. I think it was Filmspotting. The basic premise is that one brother goes off to war and is involved in a helicopter crash after which no bodies are found. He and the men from his platoon are thought to be dead. Back at home his wife and children and his brother bury him. What really happened is that Tobey Maguire’s (war brother) platoon was kidnapped by sand terrorists. During their captivity they make them to despicable things and Tobey actually has to kill one of his men to save his own life. Back at home Jake and Natalie Portman build a relationship. Then, Tobey is found and comes home. I’m not giving anything away because that’s all in the trailer.

Brothers Trailer

This film started out very slowly for me. I understand why they took their time developing the new relationship between Jake G. and his brother’s wife, but at times it seemed unredeemable. Until the final act, which blew me way. The performances from Jake and Natalie were great, but Tobey Maguire did a phenomenal job. He was so believable and enraged that he burned up the screen. Truly one of the best performances I’ve seen all year.

Overall this film took an interesting look at the perils of war and its psychological effects upon its victims. The story is simple and at times very slow and shallow, but throughout the film there are moments of brilliance that awaken you from your slumber.

Rating: 8/10
RT: 59%

No comments:

Post a Comment