Tuesday, July 27, 2010

High Fidelity

I’ve been chasing this movie for a long time. It’s one of those flicks that I’ve had out of the library like 3 times and just never got around to watching it. On a rainy Saturday afternoon I threw it in and kicked back. It follows John Cusack as he lives out his days running a record store, digesting music, and dealing with the remnants of his broken relationships. That’s the basic premise of the film. We basically are posed with the question – is John Cusack able to be saved within his relational walks throughout life? Is there some redemptive quality to all his toil?

High Fidelity Trailer

John Cusack is honestly one of my favorite actors of all time. GROSSE POINTE BLANK, SAY ANTHING, BEING JOHN MALCHOICH (fav), even CON-AIR, 1408, and IDENTITY – he helped save those films too. And he’s in true form in this role. He’s the constant voiced over narrator throughout the film and like I always mention, that is my favorite element within films when it works right. And it definitely worked right here.

Jack Black and the other worker in the record store keep the film moving along as well. The only quam I have is the never ceasing cutbacks to his former relationships. I do like how they incorporated that into the film, but some of the flashbacks are a little lengthy.

Overall, I enjoyed the film, but I didn’t love it. I really like the witty music appreciation banter throughout the film. That alone brought a smile to my face, because I too feel snobbish when talking music with other people. Not because my taste is better, but I think I have a higher standard for the musicianship within it.

Rating: 8.5/10

RT: 92%

No comments:

Post a Comment