Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Invention Of Lying

I’m definitely NOT going to spend over 300 words on this film. Going in my wife really wanted to see it, and I had heard some decent things about it, so I wasn’t against it. Plus, I got if free from the library, so what do I care? The film follows Ricky Gervasis’ character as he lives in a world where no one can lie. They speak their minds, tell the truth, and are unrelenting with even hurtful truths spoken. One day Ricky comes to the awareness that he can lie and starts to use it to his advantage. That first act is where the funniest moments happen. Where people are truthful with each other and don’t hold back anything… Really. They don’t hold back anything – for example when we meet Jennifer Garner’s character.

TIOL Trailer

However, shortly after the first act ends Ricky decides to create a ’10 Commandments’ in a way of how people need to live in order to go to heaven and see “the man in the sky.” That’s when the film takes a real downer. It’s almost like the writers gave up and said screw it. There’s a depression period for Ricky and then he has to save his love from marrying Rob Lowe, whom I believe was utterly wasted in this film. But that’s about it. Turn it off after the first 30 minutes – it doesn’t get any better than that.

Rating: 5/10

RT: 58%

No comments:

Post a Comment