Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Paranormal Activity

I’ve wanted to view this film again ever since I saw it in the theatre when it first came out. Much to your surprise I am sure, I enjoyed it when I first saw it. It took it for what it was. A glorified BLAIR WITCH PROJECT type film with a 40k budget and a decent camera and audio setups. The things I liked most about the film, which still reign true to today is the essence surrounding the film. I remember there was so much hype when it came out – people fainting in the aisles, running out of the theatre, and everyone wondering if it was real or awfully staged. I do remember thinking that myself a few times as I was sitting in the darkened theatre waiting for the next startling moment.

PA Trailer Here

I really enjoyed how they approached the film in regards to credits and such. There was no opening credits, or musical cues, just a disclaimer thanking the police officers from something-something town for the footage. Excellent I thought as the first frames of film rolled. Then the rest of the film is shot documentary style with text inserts before each night. I won’t lie, the first time I saw it in the theatre it was a lot more effective than when I just re-watched it, but I still appreciate the acting and characters. I wonder if they are really like that in real life?

The alternate ending was good I thought, probably better than the theatrical ending they used. However, it wasn’t as startling, so I can see why they went with the one that would give the audience a final jump before the end. Rent this one with your gf and watch it in the dark in your bedroom with the door closed. Good times.

Rating: 8/10
RT: 82%

No comments:

Post a Comment