Sunday, July 4, 2010

Out Of Sight

It’s been a long time coming that I’ve revisited this film. And a while ago I came to the realization that it was a Steven Soderbergh film so then I really wanted to see it. Saw it at the library and snatched it up. Actually picked it over that GI JOE film, which looks awful and I’ve heard is awful, so… Easy decision. Based on a book by the legendary Elmore Leonard, we follow a crew of burglars as they live out their days in prison and then as they are on the outside trying to pull off the ultimate score – heisting 5 million in uncut diamonds from a rich guys mansion. Throw in a steamy relationship with Federal Marshall Jennifer Lopez and you have a smoking flick.

Out of Sight Trailer

George Clooney, Vic Riamms, that other black guy from GO, and Steve Zhan are all in true excellent form in this film. Jennifer too. The best part is watching Lopez and Clooney interact with each other in this film. They are both so Sauvé and refined that it was hard to take in. Truly beautiful performances. The scene where they undress before jumping into the bed reminds me of THE NOTEBOOK. So I guess it’s actually THE NOTEBOOK that stole that idea from this film… Hmmm… I’ll have to tell my wife about that one.

Soderbergh has a deep love for 70s cinema, just like me, and it totally comes through in every stitch of film in this picture. From the stop picture transitions, to the slappy bass and drums, to the overall feel of the camerawork. Soderbergh knows his craft and he is heavily influenced by 70s style cinema. Probably the reason why I love his direction style and films so much.

Rating: 9/10
RT: 93% ( I swear I didn’t look before I rated it. Crazy)

No comments:

Post a Comment