Saturday, July 10, 2010

Precious

This film really pissed me off. Yep. Pissed me right the hell off. I understand why it was given the film of the year award by the academy though. A young 17-year-old, overweight, underprivileged black girl has to deal with strife everyday of her life. Her mother beats her, abuses her verbally, kids at school ridicule her and she has to fend for herself each day of her life. She’s already had one child and now she’s having another. Who’s the father? Her stepdad who repeatedly rapes her. Her mother gets mad at her daughter for “luring” her man into the sack. Quite the messed up premise for a film. Then poor little Precious is trying to better herself by going the extra mile to attend specialized schooling to get the education she knows she needs. I really won’t go on anymore. The acting is good, the story is trite in my opinion, and I honestly felt no sadness or emotion towards this girl and her circumstances whatsoever. Maybe I’m just a miserable old man, but I could care less about ANY of the characters in this film or their specific life situations. I'm out!

Precious Trailer

Rating: 4/10

RT: 91%

No comments:

Post a Comment